English Pronunciation For Success
Business Builder Plus Course
|Course Description||This 21-hour live, on-line program gives the participant instructor-led training followed by lifetime access to:
|Course Prerequisites||Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB), IELTS or CELPIP level 7 or higher in listening, speaking, reading and writing is recommended.
|Learning Objectives||Upon completion of this course the successful participant will have reliably demonstrated the ability to:
· Accurately make all of the North American Vowel sounds.
· Accurately make all of the North American consonant sounds in all positions.
· Distinguish between common spelling patterns and use these as guides to accurately pronounce unknown words.
· Use their knowledge of common North American English stress patterns to make confident choices about stress placement in reading texts.
· Distinguish between standard, respectful intonation patterns and patterns that are used to express negative opinions or moods.
· Modify the sounds of specific parts of words and sentences based on the North American pattern of reduction, linking, and assimilation.
At the end of this course, the participant will be able to read any text with clear, accurate sounds and the intonation patterns that are most easily understood by North American listeners. After having completed all of the self-study listening materials, the participant will be able to follow business conversations at real speed. Following focused study of the vocabulary presented in each of the exercises hosted on the website, the participant will have a solid knowledge of the top 1000 business words and phrases.
|Required Course Materials
|All training materials are created in-house and are provided as part of the training package. Access to a computer or a device with a web camera is essential. The participant will be asked to provide the instructor with their Skype account name. The participant may be required to download Zoom onto their computer or device so that they will be able to access shared links as part of the course.
|Course Duration||The live, on-line portion of the course sessions take place three days per week for four weeks following an initial 90-minute assessment session. Each session has a duration of 90 minutes. At the end of the one-month course, the instructor will provide the participant with lifetime login access to the course materials that support the live portion of the course and schedule a follow-up 90-minute session to be completed within a 3-month period. At this time a certificate of completion will be issued by English Pronunciation For Success™.
|Coursework||For each hour of live, on-line instructor-lead training, approximately one hour of self-study will be required to complete the practice materials.
Methods of Evaluation
|The guided discovery teaching method is used. The participant is asked to analyze sounds, facial expressions, spelling patterns, and phrasing based on a comparison of the target language to their first language. The teacher will model target sounds and explain how to judge the appropriateness of new choices based on the basic pattern of North American English. The participant will receive immediate feedback from the instructor on accurate and inaccurate sound creation. All new knowledge will be given a framework based on listening and speaking scenarios taken from real life.
|The participant will be evaluated continuously throughout the 14-session live, on-line course. A recorded reading assessment created on the first and last sessions of the course allows for a comparison of awareness and skill levels. Suggestions for further training and study will be given based on the results of the final assessment. The participant will be encouraged to focus on specific modules on the self-study website based on this evaluation.
|Completion Requirements||The participant must complete all twenty-one hours of the course.|
|Tuition||$2997.00 + GST|
English Pronunciation For Success
Business Builder Plus Modules
- How to handle the speed of a conversation – yours and theirs!
- Step by step action plan to maximize your results from this course
2 Vowel Discovery
- How to finally master the most embarrassing vowel pair in North American English
- Discover why North Americans are so shocked when you say “beach”
- Accurate and Professional-sounding North American name pronunciation
3 Discover two reasons why so many words sound like F_CK
- Accurately pronounce [a] vs [^] and [ae]
- Top spelling and reading strategies to support your pronunciation choices
- Confusing Consonant Confidence strategies
4 Easily Untangle the Multiple sounds of “T” to sound like a native North American
- Clearly express time in your sentences with crystal clear word endings
5 Learn which words to focus on to tell your story to be understood immediately in every situation
- Being understood when you say you can … and when you say you can’t
- Understanding when mumbling and muttering is essential to clear communication
6 How to choose the tone of voice that says what you mean.
- Helping your listener hear that you have used a noun or a verb
7 Say numbers in a clear, compelling manner.
- Express your math knowledge easily in English
- Simplify “th” for your listeners
8 Strategies for choosing where to put the stress (accent) on a word
- Saying “s” accurately in all positions in a word
- Smooth S + consonant combinations. Eliminating the feeling of hesitation or stuttering on the part of your listener
9 Learn to love English R
- Using your tongue like a master so that people recognize l / r / d / th / h / and o as different sounds
10 Be newscaster clear when you say sh ch j y & d as in search engine, shipment, justified, Asian & agent
- Control your lip movement like a pro and sound adult when you ask questions starting with W.
- Identify and accurately pronounce the 5 different A sounds in North American English
11 Control where you put the stress (accent) in university-level words
- Handle the deleted H in 8 of the most common English words
- Use your lips and teeth elegantly to make clear p/b/f/v and w sounds (Discover 5 sounds that rely on lips and teeth to make all the difference)
- Identify when, where and how to use emphasis to make your point.
- Discover how to use the intonation patterns that sound happy, interested, confident, powerful, and adult in North American English and which ones don’t (Learn whether North American listeners find your pronunciation arrogant, bored, angry, childish, etc.)
12 Learn to compare the lengths of different consonants and help your listener to easily identify the sound you are using.
- Understand which words need to be reduced to be understood by North American listeners
- Develop your understanding of linking and its role in clear, confident, fluent speech
13 Compare the 8 O sounds in North American English / Final Assessment
- Learn how much to move your mouth when you say the sounds in buy, bow (n), bow(v), and boy
- Final evaluation
- Suggestions for further study and practice
- Instructions regarding access to the membership site
- Invitation to the English Pronunciation For Success private Facebook group
14 Follow-up Session
- This session is to be scheduled for a time no later than 90 days following the final date of the course
- This is a private Focus Session during which the participant and instructor will work on a topic of the participant’s choosing.